Monday, November 8, 2010

The mirror

It happens to be Tuesday today. Yesterday was Monday and the day before Sunday. Sunday I found myself looking in the mirror in the boys bathroom at Shibuya Station. Sometimes when I look into mirrors it is as though I reach a check point. It happens less and less recently, but I looked in the mirror that day and realized I was in Japan and in Tokyo and this was my life. Sometimes I flash back to a winter scene, my skies over my shoulder, the crunch of the snow as I punch steps up to a ski mountain. Each crunch helps dim the static feeling in my toes as they gradually grow cold. I switch my ski's from my left side to my right side every couple of minutes to stop the cold from invading my right or left hand. My hands and feet are always cold on these days, but the snow is delightful and my breath comes out misty warm. The air is fresh and clear. I'm about to get the feeling of powder skiing once again. Sometimes I flash to a brilliant orange sunset over canyon walls no shirt on this day letting the warm last rays hit my skin and dry the water off my back. The last rays of sun cast diamond flickers on the rivers edge and make my eyes squint. As I looked into the mirror that day I noticed I was in a different scene. I hint of perspiration at my brow from lugging my guitar around the stations, the background blur of Japanese station personal informing the populous, and sometimes the familiar JR Chimes that accompany the station experience. I had just finished baking tasty cookies with my good companion and the left over banana still lingered in my thoughts as well. This is what sometimes happens when I look in a mirror in some places. A surge of adventures rush up and give me a current standing point as to my position and the change that is about me. That day I'm wearing a black shirt, a belt, nice pants. Then I move on. Striking off I soon found myself in the hustle and bustle of the station once again. I like the different flavors that Tokyo offers. When I step off the train at Tokyo station later that day the mood is all together different. There is an old wholesome feel that I can smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment