Wednesday, March 17, 2010

To Sheep!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to write a book. Sometimes I sit on the floor in my apartment with a pencil and paper and just try to think of words to say. The heater with it`s orange glow just kind of stares back as if waiting for me to write the words. Sometimes when I`m sleeping I come up with ideas and I think to myself in my dream. Wow when I wake up I should write a book about that. When I wake up though the idea is washed over like clouds hanging on mountains on a foggy day. Clouds do different things here. About 2 weekends ago I was driving up the highway and the clouds were below me as I continued on. It was really much like a dream. So now one year has almost past and I have decided to remain for one more year. When I finally do leave Japan this is what I will miss:

1. 711 Shops- These shops are really convenient. They have lovely little rice balls, food you can cook at home. They sell shampoo. They are perfect and small and have great trash cans. You can pay your bills there too.

2. Onsens!!! I love hotsprings and in Japan there are lots and lots and lots of hotsprings. I will miss the feeling of sinking into deep water and feeling very oriental like a monkey in Baraka. You all should see that movie.

3. My car. I love my car and cars in general in Japan. They are so small and can squeeze through tight spaces and make big turns and they don`t guzzle gas. I will miss my car

4. Gosh I`ll miss a lot of things here. When I leave I know I will always think to myself ``why did you ever leave Japan``  but when I`m here I`m asking myself the same question sometimes. Ahhh to be a world traveler!

Allassss though live here and now. Here is the place to be!! and so here I am sitting at my desk writing this to you. I am staring out at Naraha`s playground in the middle school office. I am continuing my job as an ultimate observer. Although my Japanese has improved I still drowned out most conversation. Sometimes I make a conscious effort to pick up words, but my brain has been adapting to my environment and now just kind of sees it as static on a TV screen. Actually as I am observing right now. The office is always very quiet. Nobody says much to each other. We just sit next to each other and work or pretend to work. I drink lots of tea during the day. When in doubt be hydrated is what I say. I love the kids here. The 3rd years graduated and I`ll miss them very much. They are very intelligent and are very friendly. I love teaching Elementary school here. I actually have my most in depth conversations with Japanese people outside the classroom. That is where I get some of my most rewarding moments in Japan. I`ve met many interesting people.

1. A guy who works for the Nuclear Power Plant - He commutes from Tokyo every Tuesday to work. That is a 2 hour drive. He stays in Naraha while he works for a few days and then commutes back. That would be a hard life

2. A father who works for Playstation- He gave me a pen and pencil made of the plastic that Playstations are made out of. He has a son who lives in Hokkaido and Daughter as well. He lives right next to Mt. Fuji.


I`m meeting a lot of people through trying to discover the Japanese music scene here. Yes I do speak a lot of Japanese outside of school. I really don`t speak much inside school. I would if I could. I`d love to get up and just have a conversation with the staff. I think they would like that too, but the environment itself does not lend itself to conversation. Maybe what I`ll do is this. I will make a survey and then go around and ask all the teachers the questions. It may get some response I will try it.

I`m reading two books right now. The first one is about the origination of the zipper and the paperclip and the second is a story about finding a sheep in Hokkaido. Both books are complete opposites of each other. I find that amusing. I am playing music in Tokyo this weekend. I`ve got a treasure map and the path is set. Music has been that for me. It is kind of like an endless adventure. It`s as though I`m skimming on the surface of humanity weaving in and out of the gears of human progression and popping up into the sunlight to play what I love to play. I`ll leave you with that. It`s really like Sheeep right now!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment