Sunday, August 9, 2009

So I'm sitting in my house the rain tiptoes down slowly outside. There was a small Earthquake again tonight. I say again because there was one couple of nights ago. There is nothing to worry about, but it sure lets me know, puts my human into perspective. There was a traditional festival I attended over the weekend. I linked up with some fellow Alts and together we danced down the streets with the rest of Japan for the Iwaki Celebration. It was a workout. We all dressed up in Hapi's (traditional ware) and tried to learn the dance. It is interesting living alone. Today after returning to my house I decided to go see if I could find the beach. It was a beautiful Sunday and the rice fields danced to the old men and women working in them. Yes I was in Japan. I did find the beach and gosh darn it there is surfing, but I didn't bring money to rent a surfboard... oh well next time. I biked around for the afternoon taking in the sights and ended up finding another beach where I might be able to surf. I think I'm not sure, but from what I can discern is that the surfing season is only 1 month a year. Hopefully I'm wrong, but we will see. As I was saying living alone is interesting... I mean really alone. I'm alone in the house, but now the whole town says foreign words as well. Actually I have some plants next to me and there keeping me company. I will name them right now. Bob and Japan. It's nice to have something green to keep you company. Having the sea close by gives a sense of freedom as well.  My Japanese is improving by the day. Although its still quite difficult to do simple things like operate the laundry machine with Japanese labels, or figure where the train goes. It's back and forth. Sometimes I think to myself ohhhh I just want this to be in English. And then sometimes I love the Japanese experience, the maze the puzzle, the invention. I've actually spoken quite a bit of English lately. I'm definitely in a different world here. Whewwy! The kids I'm excited to teach. The little ones are all really awwwwww. That's what I say a lot during the day. In fact that is what Japan is. It's a cute town. The cars, the buses, the little old people everything. At the same time there is a gong sounding in the distance which gives a whole different interpretation.. a deep calling for respect. Tomorrow it's an early morning gotta be up to go to Fukushima City. Will get pictures soon. I've been taking them just having compatibility issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment