Saturday, August 15, 2009

So coming back to Japan was really more the result of a pull rather then that of a push. I remember being young and having to do a report on Japan. I spent many nights working on the project. I believe that we where given a country to choose and being half Japanese I wanted to research the place where my ancestors came from. I remember seeing the the flag and seeing the red sun in the middle of it. I later came to learn that Japan was "Land Of The Rising Sun" from then on I was intrigued. I've been drawn to Japan since my eyes first knew of some mystery in my existence.... some force, which made me feel different, made me "stand out... not fit in"... That was the quote that so eloquently described our high school graduating class of 2004. I guess the draw to Japan started out as a simple desire. It's funny because now that I'm here I realize that desire was really part of an identity crisis. Don't feel bad. I know who I am. I am very happy! I smile many times everyday. My friends back home though would see me do little things.... like the way that a flashlight goes with me everywhere, or my tendency to always bring I giant backpack to go on a small trip into the mountains. I end up having food and clothes for everyone. They often remark "You're so Japanese!" I imagine what movies can tell me and what I've seen upon first embarking to Japan when I was just out of middle school when they say these things. I must've been about 17 when I stepped off the plane and first saw Japan. Kyoto and then Katsuyama with it's beautiful rice fields and ancient temples. The movie in my head had gotten it correctly and by simply striking a gong I could see my great grandfather working in rice field with the red sun and the dreams that were in his head. "Ohh what crazy dreams you had great grandfather" There was a twinkle in his eye when he worked those fields on those days. Maybe Japan seemed too small for him.
      So now here I am with Bob and Japan keeping me company as I write and write. At this point I am very keen to buy a surfboard. I have just recently signed up to the local pool. 2 days ago I called my Supervisor to see when we were doing something that I knew had to do with town culture. "ohh Johnnn eeeeeto. ano 3 moutiru ok.. anooo guitar shimasu" "hi" and "hi" I was being picked up at 3. We arrived at the festival and there were kind men smoking and adjusting lights. There was also a tower built on the spot right by the procession of smoking, smiling, men. Later we all cooked Wild Boar on a hot grill and stood around with our chopsticks flipping the meat until it was ready to eat, fingers dodging flames... it was cultural Japanese hot potato. It was a lovely way to eat dinner. They asked me to drink lots of beer too. I soon left my glass full and escaped. My supervisor apparently plays the Japanese Flute and his son plays the Taiko drum. They are very important to the city for this reason. It is a very important skill to know how to properly play the Taiko drum. After the festival all member leaders attended a 2 hour meeting to discuss how my supervisors son played the Taiko drum. He had good technique apparently, but needed to be more forceful. Ahhhhh I said and continued to eat fish and rice. I teach English every Friday to my supervisor's family. It is a pleasure.
    So I have just finished a giant beach party. This previous weekend all teachers got together at at a wonderful beach just south of me and shared stories. We are all going through similar experiences. It is amazing how similar our lives are in some respects. We have a commonality. Everybody has a good heart. The waves were beautiful. I arrived at the beach at 10 am maybe. The sun comes up at 4 so who knows. I went around the beach asking how much it was to buy a surfboard and where I could buy a surfboard in Japanese. Some passers by let me borrow their surfboards and go out on the waves. They were very nice. They hadn't even surfed yet all I was asking was where to buy a surfboard. The waves were fun. It was enjoyable to be on a surfboard once again. Japanese people are very nice. That night I met some other teachers who were in my situation... drawn to Japan... searching for something. We all love speaking the Japanese Language. It is a wonderful commonality. It was one of the most amazing things I encountered. I saw a person I had not met yet. I went up and said how are you. She had a blank look on her face and replied "Konichi wa" I replied back "Konichi wa" and we spoke in Japanese together for a while. She was Russian and knew Japanese not English! she didn't know any English. We both knew Japanese... our lives we shared.
     So now I close this piece. The beach party lasted into the next day. I saw a beautiful sunrise over an ocean. That is a fantastic sunrise to see every time. Waves could be heard lapping as dreaming travelers welcomed another morning, a white sandy beach with sea shells stretched into the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment