Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lately I've been trying to figure out what is the best food to eat in Japan. Right now I have to say my favorite for convenience and taste is none other then lovely Japanese rice and Nori. Now this idea and it's origin actually don't take place in Japan. When I was a little kid sometimes I would come home from school and there would be my dad sitting in his chair with a big bowl of white rice. I would look at him inquisitively and he upon noticing my reaction would reply "you don't know what this is?" this is GREAT!" and I was introduced to a little of Japanese culture right then and there. Nori is seaweed, but what I'm talking about is a paste called Gohandesuyo. It is seaweed, but also has other yummy things in it. "You just take a little bit of rice like this with your chop sticks" my dad would show me "and then a little rice" and by now my sister had come to see the attention or was there the whole time in her pink pajamas, she was three or four " "and then you take the rice and put them together and there you have it dinner. I love this dinner for a couple reasons. My house is an ice box! the kitchen and the bathroom is an icebox. The rest of the house is fine, but let's just say my toothpaste freezes and once you have frozen toothpaste it kind of changes the toothpaste. Therefore my trips to the kitchen are always done in a hasty fashion and some personal coaxing is needed to venture into the location. The lovely dinner, snack is a favorite of mine and has been used my times with perfect success.
The winter is starting to retreat now I can feel the icy fingers retracting and I now want to go experience some more skiing. I will have to do so soon. Recently I have also just been to Sendai, which has been a desire of mine since I first learned of its proximity to my Naraha home. Sendai has a good feeling to it. It was very cold when Iyo and I went so we spent most of the time darting to warm places in search of warm food or things to do in warm locations. It is quite entertaining to people watch in Japan I still have not tired of simply the past time of watching Japanese daily life pass. Slowly I am comprehending more and more of the conversations taking place, but still I find difficulty of taking many conversations at once and making sense of them. For instance when we were walking around Sendai I had no clue what the women at the front of the store was shouting at the top of lungs repeatedly. It was apparent she was selling something. There is a lot of oratory advertising that goes on in Japan. I look forward to returning to Sendai when it is warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment